Metropolitan Line
 

AYLESBURY - VERNEY JUNCTION (Pt.2)

(1868-1936)

 

The Metropolitan Railway's grandoise plans for a national network stretching from Manchester to the European continent didn't
materialise (unfortunately, some may consider). The furthest north they managed to get was Verney Junction, after taking
over the ailing Aylesbury & Buckingham Railway. Met Line services on the line started in 1894 and continued until the Met
was incorportated into the London Transport Passenger Board, who did not perceive the line as forming any part of its London
railway responsibilities and duly closed it (along with the Quainton Road to Brill tramway branch).

The Aylesbury to Quainton Road section formed part of the Great Central Railway's service from Marylebone and was closed
to passengers in 1966 as part of Beeching's swingeing cutbacks.

There are enough relics of the line remaining to make following its route an agreeable day out.

 

 

How the north-west corner of the tube map might look today with the line open.

 


 

 

Trackbed north-west of Quainton Road station looking back toward it.
This is point of the separation between the GCR and the Metropolitan line. The Met line branch trackbed to Verney Junction
can be seen veering off on the left hand side.

 

Trackbed north of Quainton Road station en route to Verney Junction.
This view is looking southward back toward Quainton Road - the curve of the line taking it into the junction with the GCR
may just be seen in the distance.

 


 


GRANBOROUGH ROAD

The remaining platform.

The helpful and informative farmer whose land this is now, remarked that the platform continues for a distance and the
other end of it is visible on the other side of the hay stacks...

 

 

...a clamber over which (ignoring the agrarian smells and substances) does indeed
reveal the distinctive blue bricks that the platforms on this line were built with.

For more details and photos of this station, see www.disused-stations.org.uk



 

The embankment just south of Winslow Road station site, looking south.

 


 

 

WINSLOW ROAD

 

The Station Kennels that utilise part of the station platform and track area - the photograph was
taken from a point in line with the track on the site of the level crossing.

 

 

Closer view of the platform area. The red brick structure is built on the track area and part of the platform is visible on the left of it.
Notice the blue railway bricks again.

For more photos of this station, see www.disused-stations.org.uk

 

 

Looking north at the trackbed opposite the Winslow Road station site.

 

 

Small section of iron and brickwork remaining on the trackbed, carrying the line over what would appear to be a small dried out stream.

 

 

This is the brick base of the bridge that carried the line over Verney Road and into Verney Junction station.
The road itself leads to the hamlet that is Verney Junction.

 


 

VERNEY JUNCTION

 

 


Verney Junction ticket as advertised on eBay in 2005.

 

The level crossing on a minor road from the centre of the hamlet of Verney Junction (opposite its pub).
The impression that the station is in the middle of nowhere would not be incorrect.
Bizarrely, an internet search for sites about this station turned up one website about the Verney Junction Swingers
Group which "...has more Verney Junction swingers registered than any other UK swingers site" [sic].
So the area does seem at least to be the centre of something!

 

 

The level crossing. The station house is visible here.
This track area shown here belongs to the London & North Western Railway - the Metropolian line from Quainton Road would
have terminated to the left of the left hand (island) platform. The space for that track is now either severely overgrown, or
utilised for the extension of private gardens and new buildings.

 

 

Opposite view from more or less the same position.
This is facing eastward - the new housing development seen here encroaches on part of the Met line's former trackbed.

 

 

Westward view of the Metropolitan Line side - the platform is still intact but the track
area (in this portion) is given to the garden of the station house.

 

 

Westward view of the London & North Western Railway platforms and track bed. The left hand platform was the island
platform shared with the Metropolitan line (out of shot on the left hand side).

 

 

Eastern view with the station house on the right.

 

 

The station house, the current owner of which has a very loud dog (probably to ward off all those swingers).

The area to the right of the house, now part of the garden area of the house, is part of the Metropolitan line's station platform trackbed.

 

 

For more photos of this station, see www.disused-stations.org.uk

 


 

All photos on this page: Nov & Dec 2005

Reference:
Bill Simpson - "A History of the Metropolitan Railway. Volume 3: From Aylesbury north to Verney Junction and Brill"
(Lamplight Publications, Oxon 2005 - ISBN 1 899 246 13 4)

 

 


 

Quainton Road - Brill line (Metropolitan Line)