SOUTHWARK PARK

(1902 - 1915)

 

Opened after one of the numerous widenings of the viaduct from London Bridge, it replaced the Commercial Docks station slightly to its south. However, tram and bus competition was high, so like Spa Road, it was not reopened after its first world war closure.

 


 

 

 

View of the station on the corner of Rotherhithe New Road and Corbett's Passage. South Bermondsey station, also seen on this map, has since been resited a few hundred yards to the south. The line veering off to the left of the map is the now disused route to Bricklayers Arms terminus.

(May 2006)

 

 

 


The street level station building, just off Rotherhithe New Road, looking southward.

(May 2006)

 

 

 


As above but viewed from the opposite direction.

(May 2006)

 

 

 

 

 

Another entrance on Rotherhithe New Road.

(May 2006)

 

 

 

Space vacated by one of the platforms.

(June 2006)

 

 

 

Space vacated by one of the platforms.

(June 2006)

 

 

 

Aerial shot of the Southwark Park platform space, looking north. The spread of the tracks here (south of Rotherhithe New Road) is the only indication of the former station at track level.

Image courtesy of Google Earth, an invaluable facility for tracking disused lines and stations.

 


 

 


 

Eltham Park

 

 

Photos taken May 2006, except where stated.