District Line

Hammersmith & City Line

Metropolitan Line

 

ALDGATE EAST

(1884-1938)

Aldgate East station was moved 170 yards eastwards to allow the enlargement of the triangle containing the Minories, North Curve, and Aldgate East junctions. This enlargement had several benefits:

  • proper signal overlaps could be introduced to reduce delays
  • Aldgate station could have its outer Circle line platform enlarged to accommodate 8 car trains
  • 8 car trains could also be used at the new Aldgate East station
  • the busy Gardiner's Corner could be served by the new Aldgate East station (the old Aldgate East station was too close to Aldgate station).
  • the additional ticket hall at the eastern end of the new Aldgate East station made the distance between Aldgate East and St.Mary's stations small enough to allow St.Mary's to be closed.


 

 

Press Refresh or Load Image if the image doesn't appear

 

The south curve (used by the District Line) was relocated outside of the original triangle. The old south curve was abandoned and its remains can still be seen from Aldgate station.

This photo was taken from the southern end of the platforms at Aldgate station. A (moving) District Line train is visible on the right hand side on the new alignment. The old tunnel ran parallel to it, in between the train and the track next to the platform visible here - however, all attempts to take a photo that clearly showed it, failed miserably. The stairs visible in the middle-right of the photo, lead down to where the track used to be.

(photo: 2002)

 

 

 

 

Press Refresh or Load Image if the image doesn't appear

 

The old Aldgate East station was demolished and its platform space used for the new tracks. All that is except for the extra space set back for the staircase on the eastbound platform. This is the view from a passing train.

(photo: 2002)

 

 

 

Press Refresh or Load Image if the image doesn't appear
2006 view from track level.

Photo: Simon Emmett. ©2006

 

 

 

 The remains of the eastbound platform again.

(photo: 2009)

 

 

 

 

Press Refresh or Load Image if the image doesn't appear

 

The track level had to be lowered by 7 feet to allow the new Aldgate East station to have sub-surface ticket halls. The excavation for this was carried out while trains were still running; the existing line was suspended on wooden trestles until the new track had been laid underneath.

The heavy-duty eye-bolts that the wire cables holding the wooden trestles were attached to, are still in situ in the ceiling of Aldgate East station. Some are visible at the top of this photo - it is very very hard to believe that these were strong enough to hold two tracks plus trains!

(photo: 2002)

 

 

 

 The site of the station building, awaiting redevelopment.

(photo: 2009)

 



 

MarK Lane (District Line)